Connect with us

Local News

Fire damaged Community Food Cupboard of Rochester



Rochester, N.Y. – A Monday morning fire at a local food cupboard has left workers there trying to figure out how to move forward.

Rochester firefighters were called to the Community Food Cupboard of Rochester on Nester Street around 10:30 a.m. Monday.

Maribeth Weed, the food cupboard’s administrator, says 911 was called after people inside smelled smoke.

Firefighters say it took about 10 minutes to get the fire, located in the rafters, under control. However, they added that parts of the roof had to be opened to tend to areas where the fire had extended. Power had to be cut to the building as well.

No one was injured, however many of the donated food items at the building were impacted by the fire response and power to the freezers being cut.

“We have to wait for the Health Department to come and assess the food,” said Weed, “but we had a lot of stuff that got donated from Wegmans today, so that was all out there and that’s wet, and everything is wet, and the freezers aren’t on.”

She said, prior to the fire, volunteers were planning on conducting several more trips Monday to get food to seniors. She said those people likely won’t get their food.

“We serve five zip codes in the poorest area of the city,” said Weed. “We’re the only one that does the deliveries. We’re going to try to get back as soon as we can, but it’s a horrible time. I said it’s 2020. But everyone’s safe.”

While she’s glad no one was hurt, Weed says she’s very concerned about the impact this will have amid an already-great need in the Rochester area.

“We are going to lose a lot, even just the time and effort,” she said.

Firefighters say the cupboard had received many donations ahead of the holidays, and this incident comes during a critical period.